There is a time when you cannot eat green vegetables, then at that time different types of gram comes to our mind and we have to make them and at the same time have to enjoy them also.
So let’s make Spicy Chana Masala. It is Punjabi Cuisine in which boiled chickpeas are cooked with garlic, onion, tomato and all the spices (I have not used onion and garlic in my recipe, as I have made it in Paryushan and at this time we do not eat garlic and onion).
Make Chana Masala little spicy then only it will taste good but if you are making it for kids then make it little less spicy otherwise kids won’t be able to eat. It is very easy to make as it requires only mixing of spices with boiled chickpeas.
Equipment Used –
- Pressure Cooker
- Measuring Cups
Prep Time – 4-5 Hours Cook Time – 20 Mins Serving – 4
- Black Chickpea (चना) – 1 Cup (24 Mantra Organic Brown Channa, 500g)
- Oil (तेल) – 3 Tbsp.
- Asafoetida (हींग) – Pinch
- Mustard Seeds (राई) – 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Seeds (जीरा) – 1 Tsp.
- Fennel Seeds (सौंफ) – 1 Tsp.
- Finely Chopped Tomato (बारीक़ कटा हुआ टमाटर) – 1 No.
- Finely Chopped Green Chilli (बारीक़ कटी हुई हरी मिर्ची) – 2 Nos.
- Red Chilli Powder (लाल मिर्ची पाउडर) – 2 Tbsp.
- Coriander Powder (धनिया पाउडर) – 1 Tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder (हल्दी )– ½ Tsp.
- Chana Masala (चना मसाला) – 1 Tbsp. (Badshah Chana Masala)
- Salt to Taste (नमक)
- Wash chickpeas with clean water and soak it in hot water with 1 tbsp. of salt for 5 hours.
- Now pressure cooks them on high flame till one whistle. After that cook them on medium flame till another whistle and after that switch off the flame and check whether chickpea turns soft.
- Heat oil in a wok and add in asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add in tomato and green chilli and cook them for 5 mins.
- Add in red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chana masala and salt and 3 Tbsp. of water and cook all the spices together until the oil leaves the sides of the wok.
- Add in boiled chickpeas and mix them well the spices and cook for 10 mins.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with Chapatti, Parantha or Puri.
- For soaking chickpeas prefer hot case as it will help in maintaining the temperature of water.
- Spices can be adjusted according to the taste.
Refer WordPress – https://refer.wordpress.com/r/2102/wordpress-com/
For Other Punjabi Recipes click