Uttapam is a famous South Indian Breakfast which is prepared from rice and skinless split black gram batter. Uttapam is little thicker as compared to Dosa and is topped with different toppings like onion, tomatoes, green chillies, sweet corn, paneer etc. Today I am making Onion Uttapam which will be topped by onions and green chillies.
Step – by – Step Video of Onion Uttapam
Prep Time – 8-10 Hours Cook Time – 20 Mins Serving – 6
- Rice – 2 Cups
- Urad Dal or Skinless Split Black Gram – ¾ Cup
- Water for grinding
- Sliced Onions – 1 ½ Cup
- Finely Chopped Green Chilli – 1 Tbsp.
- Chopped Coriander – ½ Cup
- Salt to Taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Tbsp.
- Wash rice and urad dal with clean water for 2-3 times and soak it for 4 -5 hours.
- Now grind soaked rice and dal with the help of water and prepare a smooth batter.
- Keep batter aside for 4-5 hours for fermentation.
- After fermentation, stir batter properly and add salt and mix it (add little water if the batter is thick)
- For topping, mix onions, green chilli, coriander, salt and red chilli powder in a bowl.
- Heat flat tawa and pour batter with ladle and gently spread it to a thick pancake.
- Apply 2 tsp. of oil on all sides of uttapam and cook it from bottom side till it gets crispy.
- Top uttapam with onion topping.
- Flip uttapam and apply 2 tsp. oil more and cook toping side of it.
- Onion Uttapam is ready and serve it with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup or sambhar.