As winters has come it’s time to treat ourselves with yummy Makke ki Roti. Makke ki Roti is very popular in Punjab and Rajasthan. Makke ki roti is maize flour flatbread cooked until golden brown. Mainly it is served with Sarson ka Saag. But at my home we serve it with Palak ki Subzi, Tadka Dal, Kaddu ki Sabzi or Mogri ki Kadi. It is very delicious and easy recipe. Today I will be serving it with Kaddu ki Sabzi and Jaggery. Jaggery is also an important ingredient to be served with Makke ki Roti.
Kaddu ki Sabzi is a very simple recipe where pumpkin pieces are cooked in variety of masalas. I have made it little sweet by adding sugar. You can avoid it if you don’t want to make it sweet.
Step – by – Step video of Kaddu ki Subzi and Makke ki roti
Prep Time – 10 Mins Cook Time – 30 Mins Serving – 4
Kaddu ki Sabzi
- Kaddu (Pumpkin) (Cut in small Cubes) – 4 Cups
- Finely Chopped Green Chillies – 1 Tbsp.
- Asafoetida – Pinch
- Oil – 5 Tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds – ½ Tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ½ Tsp.
- Fennel Seeds – ½ Tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 Tbsp.
- Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder – 1 Tsp.
- Salt to Taste
- Sugar – 5 Tbsp.
- Water – 4 Cups
Makke Ki Roti
- Makke ka Atta (Maize Flour) – 3 Cups
- Salt – 2 Tsp.
- Carom Seeds – 1 Tsp.
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 Tbsp.
- Hot Water – 2 Cups
Kaddu Ki Subzi –
- Heat oil in a wok and add asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- On crackling of seeds, add green chillies and sauté it for min.
- Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water and cook all spices.
- Now add kaddu cubes and mix.
- Add 4 cups of water and mix and cover wok with lid and allow kaddu to cook.
- After 10 mins. remove lid and just check whether kaddu is soft and if not then cover wok again and allow it to cook for few more mins.
- After kaddu gets soft, add in sugar and mix.
- Cook Subzi till one boil and switch off the flame.
Makke ki Roti
- Take a mixing bowl and add in Makke ka atta, salt, ajwain and ghee.
- With the help of hot water knead dough.
- Now divide dough into 4 – 5 balls and take one ball at a time and place it on plastic sheet.
- Wet your palms and with the help of wet palms, flatten the ball into a flat roti.
- Heat tawa and place roti on it. When one side gets cooked, flip it and cook another side.
- Now remove tawa and cook both sides of roti directly on low flame.
- Now with help of spoon make holes on cooked roti and apply generous amount of ghee on it.
- Serve Makke ki roti with Kaddu ki Subzi and Jaggery.
- Spices and sweetness can be adjusted according to your taste.
- My recipe is totally without onion and garlic. If you want you can add them with green chillies.