Sandwiches are very popular food item in India. These are available in number of varieties both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian. Aloo Matar Sandwich is very delicious and popular dish in India which you will find with every sandwich wala (Sandwich Vendor) in India. It is an amazing recipe which is liked by everyone. It is very yummy street food which is popularly known as Bombay Masala Sandwich.
It is very easy and quick recipe which requires easily available ingredients such as potatoes, green peas, some spices and bread and butter. These sandwiches are best served for breakfast or with evening tea or you can have them during dinner also when you want to have something light. These sandwiches can be prepared in sandwich griller or on gas toaster or on plain tawa. These sandwiches can be served with tomato ketchup or green chutney or with both.
With these sandwiches I have beautiful memories. There is a place in Udaipur (where I live) i.e. Fatehsagar Lake (very beautiful place to visit), me and my family used to go there on every Sundays and sit there for long and use to order these sandwiches. It was fixed. Means going to Fatehsagar we have to order these sandwiches. We enjoyed every Sunday evenings with these sandwiches and we never get bored.
Other Sandwich Recipes on my Blog
Step – by – Step Video of Aloo Matar Sandwich (Please Subscribe and Support)
Servings – 12 Sandwiches
- Boiled and Mashed Aloo (Potatoes) – 4 Cups
- Matar (Peas) – ½ Cup
- Oil – 4 Tbsp.
- Asafoetida – Pinch
- Mustard Seeds – ½ Tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ½ Tsp.
- Fennel Seeds – ½ Tsp.
- Finely Chopped Green Chilli – 1 Tbsp.
- Salt to Taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 3 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ Tsp.
- Coriander Powder – 1 ½ Tsp.
- Garam Masala – 2 Tsp.
- Bread Slices – 24
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- When seeds crackle add in finely chopped green chillies and sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Add peas and cook them until they are 75% soft.
- Add in mashed potatoes and mix.
- Add in red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- Add around 3 tbsp. of water and mix all ingredients properly.
- Allow potato masala to cool down completely.
- Take 2 bread slices at a time and spread potato masala on one bread slice and cover it with another bread slice.
- Apply butter on gas toaster and place sandwich on it and apply butter on top of it.
- Toast sandwich from both sides. Toast one side of sandwich for 2 minutes and roll toaster and toast other side for 2 minutes. Just open and check whether sandwich is ready from both sides. If not then toast it again for few more minutes.
- Aloo Matar Sandwich is ready. Serve it with onion rings, tomato ketchup and mint and coriander chutney.
- I have prepared this sandwich on gas toaster. If you want you can grill it also.
- Spices can be adjusted according to your taste.
- Instead of butter you can use clarified butter (ghee) also.
Please try this recipe and share your feedback with me.
Facebook(LIKE) | Twitter(FOLLOW) | Instagram(FOLLOW) | YouTube(SUBSCRIBE)